Below is the Flyer regarding reopening next week. Call if you have any questions.
For South Umpqua Students
Monday 8/31/2020 to Thursday 9/3/2020
Tuesday 9/8/2020 to Friday 9/ 11 /20
Visit the South Umpqua School District
website for times and locations:
|MYRTLE CREEK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL|
Myrtle Creek Skyhawks
Becoming the Best, Together.
Dear Myrtle Creek Elementary Families,
Spring of 2020 has challenged staff and students to find a new normal for learning. We anticipate lots of questions, clarifications, and anxiety as we begin the 2020-2021 school year. We appreciate your patience through this challenging time.
Myrtle Creek Elementary staff is excited to welcome you back whether that is in person or virtually. Below you will find the latest guidelines that we will be following at Myrtle Creek Elementary. We will be starting the school with a “soft start.” Please see the schedule below.
|September 7th No Students 4/5th Grade teachers will be contacting families.||September 8th 1/3 Kinder |
1st Grade 4/5th Grade teachers will be contacting families.
|September 9th 1/3 Kinder |
2nd Grade 4/5th Grade teachers will be contacting families.
|September 10th 1/3 Kinder |
3rd Grade 4/5th Grade teachers will be contacting families.
|September 11th All students return from K-3 4/5th Grade teachers will be contacting families.|
|September 14th Regular schedule for K-3 K-5 Begins Distant Learning||September 15th Regular schedule for K-3 K-5 Begins Distant Learning||September 16th Regular schedule for K-3 K-5 Begins Distant Learning||September 17th Regular schedule for K-3 K-5 Begins Distant Learning||September 18th Regular schedule for K-3 K-5 Begins Distant Learning|
- Families who do not have access to a technology device to support their student may check them out from Myrtle Creek Elementary. Time and place TBD.
- All classroom seating will be situated to support social distancing.
- The classrooms, building, restrooms etc.…will be frequently sanitized.
- Students will be visually screened upon arrival and recorded for contact tracing purposes.
- Visitors and volunteers will be unable to enter the building this year. Only school personnel will be allowed in the building.
- There will not be any Early Release Wednesday- pick up will be at 3:30.
What will in school look like for K-3?
- Facemasks are required for all students. We will provide a face mask, but students can wear a face shield provided by the family. *Facemasks are recommended by ODE over face shields.
- We ask that these are frequently cleaned.
- Students will be in a grade level cohort. This means that when they have meals/recess they will only be with students from their same grade level.
- Students will be taught, and modeled, proper handwashing and social distancing.
- Students will still have PE and music.
- K-2 students will enter through the front doors of the building and go straight to their classrooms.
- 3rd grade students will enter through the east entrance of the building adjoining their hallway.
- Face mask breaks will be built into your child’s day for short durations while maintaining social distance
- I am excited that we will be adding social emotional learning (SEL) to our curriculum this year. Lessons will be around community, empathy and critical thinking, problems solving and peer relationships. To view this curriculum visit. www.sanfordharmony.org
How can you help with transitions?
- Have your child practice wearing a face mask/shield during your day.
- Practice proper handwashing. Soap, scrub 20 seconds, rinse, dry. Help them understand why the need to wash their hands. (e.g. germs are invisible so we still need to wash if we can’t see them)
- Talk to your child about what “social distancing” means and show them what it looks like between you.
What can your student bring to school?
- A personal reusable water bottle labeled with their name.
- A backpack labeled with their name
- Personal school supplies from their supply list – Supplies will not be shared with other students. Be aware of what should be labeled with your child’s name.
- A jacket/sweatshirt labeled with their name.
- The District and school Operational Blueprints will be posted on our websites by next week.
- We will be carefully watching the metrics and direction around long- and short-term distance learning and if there are increases or decreases to COVID-19 cases.
- Please be aware of COVID-19 symptoms and keep your child at home if they are ill. Refer to our safe start handout.
- Please refer to the COVID-19 Health Protocol and South Umpqua School District Sick Policy for additional information.
Conversations about school.
- Be empathetic and allow your child to express their feelings about going to school with the current changes. After all, many of us feel the same way.
- Reassure your student that we are all working together to keep students and staff safe.
- Remain positive and supportive when talking about school and learning. If you are having frustrations with how things are going, this is a good time to talk to the
teacher while not burdening your student. We still need to work together to foster a love of learning and school.
- Build your child’s self-esteem and grit. Working through times like these will build character and perseverance. Reassure them that they can do it! Be their cheerleader.
Please feel free to reach out to myself or our office staff if you have any questions or concerns. Information and updates will be posted on our school website, school Facebook page, and our district website.
School Website http://www.susd.k12.or.us/mce/
School Facebook https://www.facebook.com/MCEskyhawks
District Website http://www.susd.k12.or.us/
2020-21 Kindergarten Supply List
1 – Plastic Supply Box (8” x 5”)
1 – 12 Pack Pencils – Ticonderoga
2 – 24 Pack Crayola Crayons
1 – 2 Pocket Red Single Subject Folder
1 – Large Box Kleenex
4 or more – Elmer’s Glue Sticks
1 – Child Size Safety Scissors
8 – Expo Black Fine Point Dry Erase Markers
1 – Tray Crayola Watercolors (8 Colors)
1- Snacks for class to share (Goldfish Crackers, Graham Crackers, Dry Cereal, Pretzels, etc.)
1 – Container Antiseptic Wipes (Clorox, Lysol, etc.)
Optional: 1 Package Baby Wipes
1 Box Gallon Ziploc Bags
1 Box Sandwich Ziploc Bags
|At Myrtle Creek Elementary we seek to create a caring environment where children learn and grow with success and confidence.|
While awaiting for more information on guidance for Pre-K, we are letting families know about a website they can go to and receive important updates as we get them. Please go online to www.southcentralhubenrollment.com. As updates are received, you will be notified.