Phone: (541) 863-3115 • Fax: (541) 863-5212 • 558 Chadwick Ln • Myrtle Creek, OR 97457

The open enrollment period for the 2018.19 school year is now closed.  If you live out of our district and wish to attend our schools please fill out the interdistrict transfer form that can be obtained from your current school district and turn it into the South Umpqua School District Office. This form can also be obtained at the South Umpqua School District Office. Thank you for your interest in our district!



1. What is HB 3681?
HB 3681 provides the opportunity for school districts to open their enrollment to students who live outside of their district boundaries. It specifically states the enrollment period is open from March 1-March 31 each year. The bill states that student may enroll in a non-resident district without permission from their resident district.
2. Who determines the number of students a district/school will accept?
The local school board determines the number of students it can accept from outside the district using HB 3681. HB 3681 does not mandate the consideration of specific criteria except that the process must be non-discriminatory.
3. Does the student’s district of residence have any say in whether a student can transfer under HB 3681?
Using the provisions of HB 3681, the student’s district of residence does not have a say in whether the student can move to a school that has offered a transfer. If districts use the traditional method of inter-district transfer, both the sending and receiving districts agree to the transfer.
4. May a district offer transfers just to certain kinds of students?
No. Districts may not deny consent or give priority based on race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, national origin, disability, terms of an individualized education program, income level, proficiency in the English language, or athletic ability.
5. If a district finds after May 1 that it has additional openings for students, may it allow additional transfers via HB 3681?
No. The calendar set in the bill is clear. The district may allow additional students to enroll using contracted inter-district transfers (where both the sending and receiving districts agree to the transfer) or using tuition.
6. Once a student receives a transfer using HB 3681, must they renew the transfer annually as with the traditional transfer process?
No. Once a student has been accepted by a district, the student is considered a resident of the district until the student graduates from high school, is no longer required to be admitted to the schools of the school district under ORS 339.115, or enrolls in a school in a different district.
7. Under open enrollment does the receiving district pursue truancy related to non-attending students or is there a point where this student reverts back to the responsibility of the district where they reside (such as could happen with student transfers)?
Once a student is accepted into a district, they are the responsibility of that district. The district may choose to pursue truancy related to non-attending students until they are dropped from the enrollment through the 10-day rule. However, should a student dropped for non-attendance decide to re-enroll, his/her transfer should be upheld. The student, once dropped for non-attendance, may also choose to return to their district of residence.
8. May districts continue to contract inter-district transfers (where both the sending and receiving districts agree)?
Yes. Districts may continue to allow contracted inter-district transfers throughout the year depending on their district policy.
9. What does HB 3681 mean for students currently attending school on an inter-district transfer?
A student may choose to continue the current arrangement where the contract is renewed each school year. The student may choose to apply for permanent admission to the district via HB 3681. The district may give priority in a lottery to student with current inter-district transfers.
10. How do these inter-district transfers affect sports participation?
Sports participation issues are the responsibility of the Oregon School Activities Association (OSAA) and other interscholastic activities organizations. OSAA is preparing to address concerns from HB 3681. Districts cannot accept or decline students for transfers on the basis of sports ability.
11. How will open enrollment changes intersect with existing Charter School enrollment parameters?
It doesn’t. Charter school law and individual charters dictate enrollment rules for charter schools, including the enrollment of students with disabilities (special education). HB 3681 does not change charter school law or the charters. Charter school students have never needed an inter-district transfer agreement to enroll in a charter school. The concept of open enrollment already applies to these students – at least within the space and grade limits of the charter school. Charter school students would not be included in the number of students a district chooses to accept under HB 3681.
12. Which district provides transportation for transferring students?
Districts are responsible for transportation within their district boundaries. Districts may choose to offer transportation to students that transfer in using HB 3681, but it is a district decision. This might not be the case for special education students. Expenses incurred in transporting students are considered approved transportation costs and a portion of the expenses is reimbursable as part of the district’s transportation grant from the State School Fund.
13. Home school students currently have the option to enroll in courses within their resident district, if the district permits this. Will open enrollment also apply to home school students who wish to enroll in specific courses within another district, if this is already permitted within the district?
Current policy would continue as to home school students taking individual courses within their home district. The South Umpqua School District encourages all home school students to take courses at our schools.
14. Are the Department of Human Services (DHS) and other state of Oregon agencies that make foster placements permitted to enroll students across district boundaries or will foster parents be able to make this decision?
Current law regarding foster or agency placements is not changed by HB 3681. Foster parents could decide to seek transfers for students in their care, but would have to follow the same procedures as any other parent/guardian.
15. For students eligible for special education, at what point does the receiving district become the resident district and how will this affect the procedural obligations for placement by the district where the student resides?
For students eligible for special education, the receiving district becomes the resident at the same point in time as for regular education students – typically when the parent makes application and the parental resident district has no procedural obligations except to transfer records. At this point the student is enrolled in the school they would attend if not disabled (unless the IEP of child with a disability requires some other arrangement, the child is educated in the school that he or she would attend if not disabled.) See OAR 581-015-2230 Transfer Students.
16. Is the use of the open enrollment process by a parent similar in any way to a unilateral placement?
No. A parent’s decision to exercise “choice” is not synonymous with the concept of “placement” under IDEA. The open enrollment process is HB 3681 is intended to facilitate student transfers for all students between Oregon public school districts. Under IDEA, the concept of “unilateral placement” typically appears in conjunction with discussions of parental decisions to enroll a child with a disability in a private school, not in exercising parental choice related to public school options.
17. For special education students, will the receiving district be responsible for transportation (as they normally would) or is this a parental responsibility under open enrollment?
The bill does not change current special education law. The initial decision to transfer to a different district is the parents’, subject to district policies and not an IEP decision. Once inside the attending district, a student’s IEP may require that a district provide additional transportation as a related service. Otherwise, the bill provides that districts are responsible for transportation within the district boundaries.

How many students has the SUSD decided to accept?
The SUSD is not accepting applications for the following grade levels at Canyonville School: K, 1, 2. All other grade levels at our schools are open.
Can I choose which elementary or middle school I want my child to attend?
When is open enrollment available?
March 1 – March 31.
How do I apply to have my student attend SUSD?
Fill out our “Application for non-resident student to attend the SUSD”, which can be found on our District website,, under the “Open Enrollment” tab, or obtained from the SUSD office, located at 558 SW Chadwick Lane in Myrtle Creek.
What are some things going on in the SUSD that I might want my student to take advantage of?                                               We are focused on improving the education that all of our students receive. Teachers and administrators have received professional development during the past two school years on improving student engagement through the use of brain-based strategies, addressing the needs of students from poverty, and implementing the most recent, research-based strategies in our mathematics classes. We purchased new mathematics textbooks aligned with the Common Core State Standards in the fall of 2016. We constantly strive to improve as educators, and to add new course offerings to our students. In the past couple of years we have added a full time agriculture teacher, who now has an orchard on campus, a Future Business Leaders of America club, Fire Science and Business Mathematics courses, and multiple dual credit courses at South Umpqua High School. School safety is a priority at each of our schools. Our entire staff is being trained in the ALICE method of dealing with on-campus threats, which will keep our students and staff safe. We have a supportive school board and an active SUSD Foundation which respond to the need of staff and students. Our focus on continuous improvement will allow us to continue to grow and provide a quality education to our students.





What specific things does South Umpqua High School offer?
South Umpqua High School is the perfect size for your student to experience great opportunities plus individualized attention. Academic success is foremost at South Umpqua High but we have so much more to offer. We have a wide variety of electives such as Art, Band, Choir, Culinary Arts, Woods and Cabinetry, Drama, Business, Agriculture, Teacher Cadet, Leadership, and Fire Science. Students have the opportunity to participate in extra-curricular activities that include our athletics teams, Drama, FBLA, Future Farmers of America, Spanish Club, and Marine Biology Club. For students who need extra time or assistance, our high school staff provides after school and during school tutoring, credit recovery, and night school.  For students who need greater challenges we have advanced level courses in Science, Math, History and English and college level courses on campus. All students have the opportunity to take college level courses—for credit and tuition free–during their Junior and Senior years. They can take courses through Dual Enrollment at our high school or at the UCC campus through our Early College program. Additionally, we work with each senior to help them develop their post-graduation plans and to successfully apply for college, trade or service. We also give individual assistance with scholarships. :Last year, our seniors earned $2,000,000 in combined scholarships upon graduation.
What specific things do the middle schools offer?
Our middle schools are implementing the proficiency model as well. They also have tutoring option available for students. Coffenberry Middle School has implemented Grade Watch, which provides staff and parents with daily information about missing assignments. The staff members of both schools regularly meet with the high school staff to determine the best ways to prepare our students for a successful transition to high school.
What specific things do the elementary schools offer?
At the elementary level, multiple supports are in place. We have both before and after school programs to help us meet the needs of each child. Our teachers regularly assess student learning levels and work to provide an education that is challenging but within reach. Regular collaboration among grade level teachers in the district provides for a consistent learning environment in our schools. We have Title One support in each school, which provides yet another opportunity to meet each child’s unique learning needs.
What extra-curricular activities do you have?
Along with our high school’s focus on academic excellence, we provide many opportunities for personal growth and development through sports, activities and clubs. Our teams and activities are large enough to offer strong competition but small enough to have room for students who want to experiment or try something new. In sports students can participate in Soccer, Football, Volleyball, Cross Country, Wrestling, Basketball, Cheer, Bowling, Track, Golf, Baseball and Softball. Students who love music can play in our Concert, Jazz or Pep Bands. Those with a dramatic flair can blossom in our outstanding Drama program. Interested in a leadership position? We have Leadership Team, Future Business Leaders of America and Student Body Association. Students who want an outlet for other interests can join the  Marine Biology Club or Spanish Club. Again, we are the perfect size for students who want both opportunity and individualized attention. You will have a great chance to meet new friends and get involved at South Umpqua High!
At the middle schools, we offer football, volleyball, boys and girls basketball, track, wrestling, cheerleading, band, and chess club.
Please see our schools websites for more information:

For information about each of our schools, click here.