Mrs. Harbaugh2nd Grade
2nd Grade Newsletter
Weekly Lesson Plans 2017/18
Mrs. Harbaugh – Grade 2
Week of October 9-13
8:30-8:55 Breakfast (recess)
8:55-9:10 Classroom plan for the day
9:10-9:40 Specials (Art/PE)
9:45-10:30 Reading Mastery
* *Reading Mastery Objectives/Standards RF 2.3 (a,b,c,d), RF 2.4,
Grade Level/Ability Level phonics, decoding, comprehension, word analysis. At the end of the lesson, students will correctly identify all letters and sounds practiced in the lesson with 100% accuracy.
*Lessons # 66-69 Practice through the “big book” and read the sentence story aloud at least twice. Then students will complete the worksheet (both sides) and make corrections if needed. When worksheet is completed, students may work on their Reading work packet until class is over. Send to recess at 10:30.
10:30-10:45 AM Recess
10:45-11:00 Drink/Restroom/Snack break – if students brought a snack from home, they may get it and take it to their table. Students who did not bring a snack may have one from the collection on the back shelf (teacher choice). Students will be called by table for a drink/restroom break.
11:00-12:10 Whole Group Math/Math Centers
* *Objectives/Standards 2.OA.1, 2.OA.2, 2.OAB.2, 2.NBT.5, 2NBT.9,
Addition/Subtraction fluency within 100, strategies for solving, place value, fluency using mental strategies (all sums of two one digit numbers), identifying doubles and near doubles in addition.
*Students will start with a Whole Group Math lesson from 11:00-11:40. Then students will work on independent Math skills related to the Whole Group lesson. At the end of the lesson, students will apply/practice fluency, place value, and problem solving skills and explain/collaborate in their table groups using the correct vocabulary from the lesson.
*Math Workbook – pages 23-48
*Math Centers – work on strategies in fluency using mental math, work on strategies relating to solving story problems, independent practice in doubles and near doubles.
12:15-12:50 Lunch and Recess
12:50-1:10 Storytime (read aloud) “James and the Giant Peach”
1:15-2:15 Whole Group Reading/Writing
* *Reading Objectives/Standards RF 2.3, RL 2.1, RL 2.2, RL 2.3, RI 2.9
Grade Level phonics, Decoding, Fluency, Key Details, Retell, Character Analysis, Comprehension, Sequence of Events, Compare and Contrast
*Students will start with a Whole Group Reading lesson from 1:15-1:45. At the end of the lesson, students will describe and apply the daily objectives/standards in collaborative table groups (Reading skills related to the Whole Group lesson).
*Reading Text – Sequence of Events/Compare and Contrast stories
*Reading Workbook – Lesson 2 pages 16-30 (continued from last week)
* *Writing Objectives/Standards W 2.3, L 2.1
* *Speaking & Listening Objectives/Standards ELA.SL.2.1
Conventions, Sentence writing, Circle charts, T-charts, Beginning narratives
* Students will practice and draw (guided instruction) Circle charts and T-charts about a given topic and will apply their knowledge using correct grammar and conventions. Students will also practice (guided instruction) sentence writing with a beginning, middle, and an end with proper capitalization/punctuation.
* Students will collaborate in conversations with partners about topics and texts with peers and adults in small and large groups. At the end of the lessons, students will connect and apply their knowledge in creating Circle/T charts to organize their thoughts in writing stories.
2:15-2:30 PM Recess
2:30-3:00 Title 1 Interventions
3:00-3:20 Social Studies/Science
* *Science – The Aminal Kingdom
Students will read stories about animals, listen to read alouds, and create projects about animals in collaborative table groups.
3:20-3:30 Clean up/Dismissal
Show and Tell – Fridays at 11:00 am
Library – Tuesdays at 1:30 pm
All School Assembly – last Friday of the month (TBA)
Speech – Monday and Friday 11:45-12:15 and 1:45-2:15
Tiger Store – Fridays at 1:45